Looking back at Ford’s historic Twin Cities Assembly Plant
Ford has been a part of the Twin Cities since 1915, when 100 workers began assembling Model Ts in an old warehouse that had been converted into an assembly plant. In 1925 the current Twin Cities Assembly Plant formally opened its doors, starting a legacy of pride and quality in the Ford brand in the city. Over the years the plant proved it could take care of itself – it forged power from a hydroelectric dam and manufactured its own glass from silica mines located deep below the earth. It altered and changed with the times, stopping production during the Great Depression and manufacturing military vehicles in World War II. The plant proved its versatility time and again by producing the F-Series truck along with full-size cars like the LTD, Galaxie, Country Squire, Country Sedan, Starliner, Del Rio, Fairlane, Crown Victoria, Crestliner, Sportsman, Deluxe Super Deluxe and Phaeton. Most recently, the Ranger compact pickup has rolled off its assembly line for the last 26 years. Through it all, the loyalty and dedication of the employees hasn’t wavered. Their contribution will never be forgotten.